Public Safety Wellness Center Physician
Company: Austin Fire Department
Posted on: November 14, 2023
Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin, Texas, is seeking a second physician to work
with our team of health professionals at the Public Safety Wellness
- Use your talents to support the wellness of Austin Fire, Police
and EMS personnel in a beautiful city that focuses on a health
- The PSWC general hours of operation are Monday through Friday,
8am-5pm, with flexibility within those hours, if you're looking to
enhance your work-life balance.
- The pay range is consistent with other municipal government
agencies for this job title - the intrinsic value of appreciative
patients, truly preventative care, a fun work environment, and
investment in community safety deserves additional
- The City of Austin Employee's Retirement System (COAERS) is a
defined benefit pension with vesting after five years of continuous
service. Other benefits include excellent insurance plans,14
holidays per year, 1 day of vacation leave per month, three
personal holidays and 1 day of sick leave per month.
The Public Safety Wellness Center Physician performs medical
assessments of public safety cadet candidates, AFD firefighters,
APD officers, EMS medics, and other public safety employees.
Medical assessments include taking medical histories, performing
physical examinations, interpreting results of laboratory studies,
radiology studies, treadmill ECGs (stress test), spirometry,
hearing and vision testing. This position makes treatment and
return-to-work recommendations for sick and injured first
The following duties and responsibilities for the Public Safety
Wellness Doctor may apply:
- Performing pre-hire medical assessments of public safety cadet
- Conducting annual medical assessments of firefighters, police
officers, and EMS medics that include:
- taking medical histories
- performing physical examinations
- interpreting results of laboratory studies
- radiology studies
- treadmill ECGs (stress test)
- hearing and vision testing
- Providing referrals to personal physician or regional medical
specialists for care of occupational injuries, cardiac and
pulmonary issues, cancer, behavioral and other health issues
affecting first responders
- Coordinating a holistic wellness approach with other Public
Safety Wellness Center personnel focused on:
- injury/medical rehabilitation
- behavioral health
- peer support
- Making treatment and return-to-work recommendations for sick
and injured first responders
- Managing vaccinations and infection control for first
responders Please note the following when completing the City of
Austin application for this position:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all the previous
employment experience you wish to be considered as part of your
qualifications. Please include contact information from previous
employers. A detailed, complete employment application is required.
It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used
to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure
to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to
- A resume and cover letter are required but will not substitute
for a complete employment application. Please do not use the phrase
"see resume" or refer to other documents to complete your
application. Do not leave the "Duties and Responsibilities"
sections blank. Applications missing information and/or documents
will be deemed incomplete applications and will not be
- The Austin Fire Department may close the posting any time after
seven days from the initial advertisement. Once a position is
closed, no additional applications will be accepted. Travel:
If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety
Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may
drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular
job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from
For more detailed information, please contact Brad Poerner, Austin
Fire Department Human Resources Manager, at .
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from a college or university with a Doctor of
Medicine degree. Licenses or Certifications:
- License to practice medicine in the State of Texas.
- Must have current healthcare provider Cardiopulmonary
Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card and will be required to
maintain a current certification during employment. Preferred
- Experience in occupational medicine including wellness and
fitness health components related to first responders.
- Knowledge of risk management and consideration of environmental
conditions in treating first responders.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Keywords: Austin Fire Department, College Station , Public Safety Wellness Center Physician, Healthcare , Bellville, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!