Academic Teacher- Cognitive
Company: Windham School District
Posted on: November 17, 2022
Job Title: Academic Teacher - Cognitive
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Pay Group: T0-21 (Based on Experience) Salary Plan
Primary Purpose: Provide quality education to incarcerated students
and supervise classroom activities.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Must
meet State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) requirements for
area of assignment.
Elementary or Secondary level certification in a foundation subject
This position requires personal technology that will enable the
completion of job duties and responsibilities when working
Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to
convey ideas and instructions clearly and concisely.
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Skill to interpret and apply rules, regulations, policies and
Skill in organizing and maintaining accurate records.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Plan and direct learning activities of adult incarcerated
2. Follow the Windham School District (WSD) curriculum guide(s) for
area of assignment.
3. Participate in district staff development programs as
4. Attend and participate in faculty meetings.
5. Participate in all evaluations and self-studies as required by
the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and contracting agency.
6. Serve on curriculum, textbooks and other committees as
7. Maintain lesson plans in accordance with the criteria
established by WSD policy.
8. Maintain accurate attendance records in the manner prescribed by
9. Submit reports as required by program needs and administrative
10. Give clear oral and written instructions to students.
11. Manage student behavior in the classroom that is firm, fair,
and consistent in applying classroom rules.
12. Create a positive classroom environment conducive to learning
and educational growth of the students.
13. Prepare and use various methods to teach basic concepts for
14. Plan activities for individual student needs and engage and
maintain the interest of students in instructional activity.
15. Administer diagnostic placement tests, achievement tests,
curriculum tests and other tests as required by the principal.
16. Arrange seating, materials, and displays in such a manner as to
harmonize with instructional aims and procedures.
17. Keep informed of and comply with all policies and procedures
pertinent to the use of instructional materials, equipment, and
18. Follow all unit procedures in checking out materials, supplies,
and equipment and promptly report any defective equipment and/or
student abuse of materials, supplies, or equipment.
19. Apply knowledge, training, and appropriate media in a systems
approach to instruction as outlined in curriculum guides.
20. Keep informed of and comply with policies of the WSD and the
Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
21. Maintain Student Progress Records cards as directed by WSD
policies and procedures.
22. Follow statutory and agency regulations.
23. Cooperate with other members of the staff in planning and
implementing instructional goals, objectives, methods, and policy
according to WSD requirements.
24. Demonstrate progress in meeting student performance targets of
25. Demonstrate progress in meeting assigned action plans of the
district or campus improvement plans.
26. Develop, use, and evaluate ideas and/or innovative approaches
to improve performance.
27. Perform other duties as assigned.
Policy, Reports, and Law:
28. Maintain confidentiality in handling sensitive information
received in the performance of the job duties.
29. Perform duties in a professional manner through daily, punctual
attendance at location of work assignment.
30. Follow Windham School District policies and procedures in
completing assigned job duties.
31. Execute duties in a professional, ethical and responsible
manner as defined in 19 TAC Chapter 247, Code of Ethics and
Standard Practices for Texas Educators.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise adult incarcerated students
in classroom settings. May also supervise teacher aides.
Additional Requirements With or Without Reasonable
Ability to communicate (verbal and written), ability to instruct,
ability to speak, ability to reason, ability to compile data,
ability to interpret policy, ability to interpret procedures and
data, ability to concentrate, ability to memorize, ability to
alphabetize, ability to understand verbal and written instructions,
ability to organize, ability to analyze, ability to maintain
emotional control, ability to maintain confidentiality, ability to
work with frequent interruptions.
Ability to perform full duties of position, lift and carry up to 30
pounds, walking, sitting, standing, climbing stairs and ramps,
kneeling, stooping, reaching, hearing (with aid), visual acuity,
speaking, travel by car, van, or airplane, driving of car/van,
distinguishing colors, occasional prolonged and irregular work
Work inside and outside, noise, radiant/electrical energy, work
alone, work with others, around machines with moving parts and
objects, possible exposure to microwaves in use, exposure to hot
and cold temperatures, exposure to dust and cleaning chemicals.
**The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and
responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive
list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or
skills that may be required.
Keywords: Windham School District, College Station , Academic Teacher- Cognitive, Education / Teaching , Huntsville, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!